8/18/09

The Journey




Scripture for August 23 Philippians 3:12-16

Goals are important for our lives. We have personal goals such as attending college, finding a new job, buying a new home or car or taking a dream vacation. We might have short-term goals, too, like a day trip with the family or a day just by ourselves. We can have goals for our physical health, like eating fewer carbs or fats. Perhaps we have a goal of losing weight and daily exercise. We might have goals of working through anger or hurt that burden us. We can have all kinds of goals in our lives. So what spiritual goals do you have? What long and short-term goals do you have for getting closer to God? Setting goals in all areas of our lives can help us be motivated and give us direction. We need direction sometimes, because we can get so caught up in the busyness of life, we do what we have to for today and that’s all. Then we feel we’re in a rut and we are!

Even though we might not think about it often, it’s important for us to have goals in our spiritual life, too. So, what goals do you have in your spiritual life? Perhaps you can take some time and think about how you would like to go deeper in your spiritual journey. Then would you share them with me? I have a goal this fall of creating new opportunities for us to become closer to God through Bible studies, prayer groups and other small groups. I would like to know the small groups that would help you on your faith journey.

Prayer

Well, God, I can’t say I ever thought about my goals to get closer to You. Will you help me? This isn’t easy for me, but I know it’s important. Amen.

No comments: