5/4/09

The Journey by Pastor Susan

This Week’s Journey
Mark 1:35

Do you pray? What do you pray for? Most of us can answer those two questions about our prayer life. But any more questions might make us a bit uncomfortable. Praying is something we’re supposed to know how to do, it’s easy, right? Well, not necessarily. We can have lots of questions about prayer that we might be embarrassed to ask because we think we’re the only ones who don’t know the answers. Guess what? Everybody has questions about prayer, how to pray, what to pray for, what about those prayers in the Bible that ask for God to get rid of their enemies, the list goes on and on.

This Sunday we’ll take a look at prayers throughout our lifetime and how our prayers may change as we grow closer to God. We’ll talk about times we just can’t pray and other times the prayers just flow. There’s a lot more to learn about prayer than what you might think.

What questions would you like answered during this sermon series? Please send them to me. I’ll try to answer them at some point in the next 4 weeks. And no, I won’t tell anyone who asked me the question (just in case you wondered!)

Prayer
Dear God,
I think praying is supposed to be easy. Why is it I want to pray, but just don’t. Or I find the time and I don’t know what to say. As always, God, I need your help. Amen.

2 comments:

Brad said...

In Matthew 10:32 (New Living Translation), Jesus says,
“Everyone who acknowledges me publicly here on earth, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven." I think of this verse whenever I wonder whether or not I should pray in public. This is not to say everyone has to pray in public. It's also not to say that we have to say prayers aloud. When I do this, it must be between me and God, not for show. Jesus had a problem when people did things for show.
All of us are at different levels in our spiritual journey. At the end of the day, the bible tells us that we are to work toward becoming more like Christ. If we want to be like Donald Trump, we find out what Trump does. To be like Jesus, we should mimic Him. Jesus prayed a lot. The more we pray, the more we become like Christ. Practice makes perfect. Eventually, communicating with God will become a normal part of our day.

Unknown said...

So glad to get this comment, Brad. We had a lengthy discussion in class Sunday and this will help me prepare for next week.